Featured Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup celery (2 stalks), chopped
- 1 cup red or yellow onion (one medium), chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup carrots (one dozen baby carrots), chopped
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes (drain, saving liquid)
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed to remove bitter coating
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 4 large bell peppers, halved from top to bottom, ribs and seeds removed
Takes , serves 8.
- In a large pot warm olive oil. Add celery and onion and cook 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add garlic, pepper and cumin to pot and cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots, spinach, tomatoes, beans, rinsed quinoa and water to pot and cook 20 minutes. Quinoa should start to soften. Stir in ½ cup cheese (save other ½ cup for later).
- Pour reserved tomato juice into a pan large enough to hold 8 pepper halves. Spoon bean mixture into peppers.
- Cover pan with foil and cook in 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle peppers with cheese and return pan to oven uncovered for cheese to bubble, about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy the stuffed peppers with a green salad. This recipe can also be adapted to use as filling with whole grain tortillas. Enjoy!
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.