Featured Recipe: Pumpkin Crème Brulee
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ⅓ cup sugar substitute baking blend (we used Truvia brand)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 8 teaspoons sugar
Takes , serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups in a large roasting pan. In a small heavy saucepan combine and heat evaporated milk, half-and-half, butter, pumpkin pie spice and salt over medium-low heat just until edges are bubbly and butter is nearly melted.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat egg yolks, egg, pumpkin, ⅓ cup sugar and vanilla with a whisk just until combined. Slowly whisk in the hot milk mixture.
- Divide pumpkin mixture among ramekins. Place roasting pan on oven rack. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until centers barely move when pan is touched. Remove ramekins from water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, let custards stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium heavy skillet heat 8 teaspoons sugar over medium-high until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally (do not stir). Once the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes or until all of the sugar is melted and golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon.
- Quickly pour melted sugar over custards (if sugar hardens in the skillet, return to heat; stir until melted). Serve immediately with whipped topping!
- To use a kitchen torch, prepare as directed through Step 4 – let custards stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of the sugar over each custard. Using the torch, melt the sugar by evenly moving the tip of the flame across the top of the custards to form a crispy layer.
Recipe originally published in Diabetes Living
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.