Mother’s Day Brunch Casserole
- 14 oz french baguette – about 8 cups of bread once chopped
- 12 oz cheese of your preference, will be shredded later
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dozen egg
Takes 4 hours – 30 minutes prep with 3.5 hour cook time. Serves 8-10.
- Chop pepper and onion. Add to skillet with turkey sausage. Saute mixture until fully cooked. Cool and drain.
- Chop or cut bread into bite size pieces, about 1/2 inch squares. Add cooked turkey and vegetable mixture to bowl with bread pieces. Stir until mixed evenly. Taste the bread and sausage mixture to adjust flavor as needed with salt, pepper, or other seasonings you like.
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs and whisk. Once eggs are whisked, add milk slowly and continue to combine.
- Shred cheese if not using pre-shredded cheese. Set aside for assembly.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking oil. Layer about half of the turkey bread mixture on bottom of the slow cooker. Layer about half of shredded cheese on top. Repeat with the rest of the turkey bread mixture. Pour all of the egg milk mixture on top of all of the turkey bread mixture and half of the cheese mixture. Layer rest of the cheese on top of casserole.
- Cook on high for 3.5 hours or until internal temperature registers at 160 degrees on a meat thermometer. You can cook on low for no longer than 6 hours.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.