Featured Recipe: Kale, Sweet Potato and White Bean Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth (one 32 ounce container)
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium white potato, diced (this helps soup thicken up)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans white beans and liquid (4 cups beans and 1 ½ cups liquid; garbanzo, navy, or cannellini beans
- 10 ounces fresh kale, ribs removed and leaves chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, chopped
- Pepper and salt to taste
Takes , serves 10 .
- Combine broth, diced sweet potato, diced white potato, chopped onion and garlic and the bay leaf in a large pot.
- Simmer pot ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and bean liquid to pot and simmer until 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Place kale in a microwaveable dish with ½ cup water. Microwave 2 minutes to soften kale. Drain kale in a colander and rinse with cold water to keep kale bright green. (You can do this step while the soup is simmering.)
- Remove bay leaf from pot. Stir in kale and lemon zest and serve. If making soup ahead wait to add kale and lemon zest until just before serving. Season with pepper and salt, if desired.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.