Featured Recipe: Minestrone Soup
Here is a cholesterol-free version of the classic Italian vegetable soup. Don’t have spaghetti? Use any pasta or brown rice. Serving size is 1 cup. Calories: 153, total fat: 4g, saturated fat: less than 1 g, sodium: 191 mg.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery and leaves
- 1 can (6 oz) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
- 4 3/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can (1 lb) no-salt-added tomatoes cut up
- 1 can (15.5 oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup fresh green beans
- Dash hot sauce
- 11 cups water
- 2 cups spaghetti, finely broken, uncooked
Takes , serves 4.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion and celery and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2-3 minutes only. Serve warm.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.