Featured Recipe: Warm Apple Spice Granola
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice blend)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt*
- 2 ½ cups whole oats (bigger oats make chunkier granola)
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Takes , serves 8 ½ cup servings.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (for easier clean up) and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine applesauce, maple syrup, apple pie spice and salt. Add oats and stir until oats are fully coated.
- Spread the mixture on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir and bake another 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the granola is baking, place the chopped pecans and pumpkin seeds in a pan and warm on low heat for 3 minutes. Stir and watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- When the granola is done baking add pecans, pumpkin seeds and cranberries. *A small amount of salt in this recipe helps balance the spices since there is only a small amount of added sugar. You can skip the salt if you prefer.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.