Featured Recipe: Stewed Okra
- 12 oz. bag of frozen okra
- 1 can no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. minced ginger
- 1 Tbs. garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Takes serves 4.
- Heat medium saucepan to medium-high. Add olive oil, garlic and ginger.
- Stir in frozen okra. Mix to coat okra with oil, garlic and ginger.
- Add stewed tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Add garam masala. If you do not have garam masala you can combine 1 part cumin, ¼ part allspice. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until okra is soft.
Looking for a nice warm vegetarian dish for these cold winter nights? This stewed okra dish hits the spot! Served here with sauteed riced cauliflower and roasted broccoli. For meat lovers, I serve with a turkey burger over top the cauliflower and broccoli and top with stewed okra. Enjoy!
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.