Featured Recipe: Refrigerator Pickles
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (white vinegar also works)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ Tablespoons kosher salt (or any salt without iodine)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 6 large sprigs fresh dill
- 1 large cucumber, sliced as spears or rounds
- In a 1 quart jar combine the vinegar, water, salt, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and dill.
- Cut cucumber into slices or spears, depending on preference. Add the cut up cucumber to quart jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and gently shake the ingredients.
- Refrigerate for several hours to let the flavor soak into the cucumbers. Shake every few hours to distribute the flavors.
- For food safety purposes the pickles can be stored in the refrigerator for one week. After one week discard any remaining pickles.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.