Featured Recipe: Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz turkey sausage
- ½ small onion
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Takes , serves 6.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, turning them over midway through cooking to get evenly dry and crisp.
- While bread is drying, brown the sausage in a pan. Once the sausage is no longer pink, add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms have stopped releasing water. Drain.
- Butter one side of each bread slice. Place 4 slices of bread, butter side up, in the bottom of an 8×8 pan that has been sprayed with pan spray.
- Layer half the sausage mixture and ¼ cup of cheese on top. Place next 4 slices of bread, butter side up on top of the cheese, spread remaining sausage mixture over this.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, half and half, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the top of the casserole, sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit overnight with a plate on top of the plastic wrap to weight down the bread and ensure the eggs get evenly distributed throughout all layers.
- The next morning, cook at 325 for 50-60 minutes until the eggs are cooked throughout and the casserole does not jiggle in the middle. Will keep in the fridge for 4 days.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.