Featured Recipe: Beef Roast
This recipe is the first recipe in the Leftovers Series. Recipes made from the leftovers can be found here.
- 3-5 lb beef roast
- 3 carrots
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1 8 oz container of mushrooms
- beef broth as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Takes , serves 4 .
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Pat beef roast dry with paper towels. Season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot or dutch oven until just barely smoking. Put roast into pot and sear on all sides until nice, brown crust is achieved. This will take 10-12 minutes.
- Move meat to a roasting pan. Do not clean out Dutch oven yet!
- Cook beef until desired temperature is achieved. Check temperature at one hour. 130 degrees indicates medium-rare beef, 145 indicates medium, 150 for medium well. Remove from oven when the temperature is a few degrees shy of desired end temperature. The meat will continue to cook for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven as it sits to rest. Tent with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- While meat is cooking, start to cook the vegetables on the stove top in the drippings from searing the meat.
- Cook them until they are just barely tender, then take out of the dutch oven and add to the roasting pan with the meat to finish cooking. Everything in the roasting pan should be done at about the same time this way.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.