Featured Recipe: Asparagus Soup
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14oz) can vegetable or chicken broth
- Italian seasoning or ¼ teaspoon of dried basil, dash of dried thyme and oregano
- 2 TB butter
- 2 TB flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Takes 20, serves 4.
- Place Asparagus, onion, and 1/2 cup broth into a saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place in a blender jar. Process in a blender until vegetables are pureed.
- Return empty pan to medium-low heat, melt butter and blend in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Do not let the mixture brown. Whisk in remaining broth and raise the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils.
- Stir in asparagus puree and milk. Put the sour cream into a bowl and add a small amount of hot soup to blend it.
- Then return all mixture into the pot and stir to blend. Top with lemon juice and serve.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.